98799 36008 / 98799 35949 info@flyertransworld.com
98799 36008 / 98799 35949 info@flyertransworld.com

Study In USA


Study In USA

About USA

usamap min - About USA
The United States of America (USA), commonly referred to as the United States (US), America, and sometimes the States, is a federal republic consisting of 50 states and a federal district. The 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C., are in central North America between Canada and Mexico.

The state of Alaska is the northwestern part of North America and the state of Hawaii is an archipelago in the mid-Pacific. The countr also has five populated and nine unpopulated territories in the Pacific and the Caribbean. At 3.71 million square miles (9.62 million km2) and with around 318 million people, the United States is the world’s third or fourth-largest country by total area and third-largest by population. It is one of the world’s most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many countries. The geography and climate of the United States is also extremely diverse, and it is home to a wide variety of wildlife.

Paleo-Indians migrated from Eurasia to what is now the U.S. mainland around 15,000 years ago, with European colonization beginning in the 16th century. The United States emerged from 13 British colonies located along the Atlantic seaboard. Disputes between Great Britain and these colonies led to the American Revolution. On July 4, 1776, as the colonies were fighting Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War, delegates from the 13 colonies unanimously issued the Declaration of Independence. The war ended in 1783 with the recognition of independence of the United States from the Kingdom of Great Britain, and was the first successful war of independence against a European colonial empire. The current Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787. The first ten amendments, collectively named the Bill of Rights, were ratified in 1791 and guarantee many fundamental civil rights and freedoms.

By the end of the 19th century, the United States extended into the Pacific Ocean, and its economy was the world’s largest. The Spanish–American War and World War I confirmed the country’s status as a global military power. The United States emerged from World War II as a global superpower, the first country with nuclear weapons, and a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council. The end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union left the United States as the sole superpower.

The United States is a developed country and has the world’s largest national economy, with an estimated GDP in 2013 of $16.8 trillion—23% of global nominal GDP and 19% at purchasing-power parity. The economy is fueled by an abundance of natural resources and high worker productivity, with per capita GDP being the world’s sixth-highest in 2010. While the U.S. economy is considered post-industrial, it continues to be one of the world’s largest manufacturers. The U.S. has the highest mean and fourth highest median household income in the OECD as well as the highest gross average wage, though it has the fourth most unequal income distribution, with roughly 15% of the population living in poverty as defined by the U.S. Census. The country accounts for 36.6% of global military spending, being the world’s foremost economic and military power, a prominent political and cultural force, and a leader in scientific research and technological innovation.

United States of America
usa2 min - About USA


usa3 min - About USA

Great Seal

Anthem:The Star-Spangled Banner

usa4 300x135 min - About USAThe United States and its territories.

Capital Washington,D.C.

38°53′N 77°01′W

Largest city New York City

40°43′N 74°00′W

Official languages None at federal level
National language English
Demonym American
Government Federalpresidential constitutional republic
President Barack Obama(D)
Vice President Joe Biden(D)
Speaker of the House John Boehner(R)
Chief Justice John Roberts
Legislature Congress
Upper house Senate
Lower house House of Representatives
Independence from Great Britain
Declared July 4, 1776
Recognized September 3,1783
Constitution June 21, 1788
Current Statehood August 21, 1959
Total 9,629,091 km2(3rd/4th)

3,717,813 sq mi

Water(%) 2.23
2014 estimate 318,429,000 (3rd)
Density 34.2/km2 (180th)

88.6/sq mi

GDP (PPP) 2014 estimate
Total $17.528 trillion (1st)
Per capita $54,980 (6th)
GDP(nominal) 2014 estimate
Total $17.528 trillion (1st)
Per capita $54,980 (9th)
HDI(2013) 0.937

very high·3rd

Currency United States dollar($)(USD)
Time zone (UTC−5 to −10)
Summer(DST) (UTC−4 to −10)
Drives on the Right
Calling code +1
ISO 3166 code US
Internet TLD .us .gov .mil .edu
English is the official language of at least 28 states; some sources give higher figures, based on differing definitions of “official”. English and Hawaiian are both official languages in the state of Hawaii. French is a de facto language in the states of Maine and Louisiana, while New Mexico state law grants Spanish a special status. Cherokee is an official language in the Cherokee Nation tribal jurisdiction area and in the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians based in east and northeast Oklahoma
English is the de facto language of American government and the sole language spoken at home by 80 percent of Americans aged five and older. 28 states and five territories have made English an official language.Other official languages include Hawaiian, Samoan, Chamorro, Carolinian, and Spanish.

Why Study in USA

Why Study in USA

Quality → Choice → Value → Flexibility

The United States has thousands of accredited colleges and universities renowned for quality, numerous programs of study, and flexibility to change fields of study and schools. The wide range of tuition and living costs makes the United States affordable for hundreds of thousands of international students each year. Whichever region you choose, you’re sure to find the right campus for you. Your journey to study in the United States begins today.

American colleges are still the number one choice for international students and have the highest number of world ranked universities. Studying in the USA gives you the chance to expand your career options, explore a huge and diverse nation, and learn from internationally-renowned teachers and researchers at US colleges and Graduate schools.

For many of the 500,000 international students who study in USA each year, the freedom to choose and change subjects and schools is also big advantage. You can begin your studies in a smaller US college, complete a two-year associate degree, and then transfer to a larger USA university for further study.

Why Study in USA?

Are you looking to aggressively boost your career with a star-studded foreign degree? The number one destination for international students seeking to get a top-notch career edge is currently the United States of America. Do you dream of being a part of this international clan of expert and qualified professionals, who are well respected worldwide?

If yes, then here’s something that you might want to consider.

What are the factors that make the US, the number one educational hub for international students?

1.Commitment to Excellence:

One of the highest selling points of American education is perhaps its worldwide reputation of commitment to excellence. Only the best students around the world are admitted to the top schools in the US, where quality education is imparted to them by an expertly trained faculty. This quality education is thereby upheld year after year and the degrees that students attained in the US are not just widely recognized and accepted, but also widely respected around the world.

2.Brilliant Scope for Research:

If you are inclined toward academic research, the US is your perfect choice for higher education. You can get the opportunity o earn while you learn, when you enroll into an MS/PhD program. Your research grant will help support your personal needs by waiving your tuition and providing you with a stipend, while the intellectual challenges that you will overcome academically will certainly help satisfy your professional appetite. Funding and grants for most research projects at the university are obtained from either the federal government or reputed multinational corporations in the industry.

3.Academic Flexibility:

You will soon discover that the education system in the US is a lot different from your home country. The US education system offers a kind of flexibility in terms of the courses that are offered, which enables you select your choice of subject from a variety of topics. You can now specialize in the area of your choice without having to take any unnecessary classes. You also have the flexibility to choose a class at any time during the academic year, since the some courses are offered multiple times during the academic year. The quarterly or semester system gives you a flexibility to complete your academic program at your own pace and take additional time on a research project if required. For instance, if you can complete the total number of courses required for you to graduate, you can finish up your master’s degree within a year. You can also spread out your course completion schedule in such a manner as to devote more time for research and complete your course in a couple of years.

4.Financial Support:

Availability of financial aid is another major incentive for international students to opt for higher education in the US. Most universities offer its students grants, loans and stipends to cover their daily expenses as well as tuition in some cases. University assistantship is provided on the basis of merit rather than financial need. If you can prove your excellence in academics, then your US education may even turn out to be free. Otherwise, obtaining grants and loans from banks is also easy if you can provide proof of your admission. On-campus work programs are also available for students who qualify for a specific kind of job. For instance, if you have a humanities major, you can seek employment at the library. If you are certified lifeguard, you can work at the Aquatic Center.

5.Lucrative Job Opportunities:

On completion of your degree, you are legally authorized to work in the US in your related field for about a year. You need to apply for Optional Practical Training Employment Authorization (OPT). Most international students get inducted into the company that hires them during their OPT period, by sponsoring their H1-B or work visa. The H1-B work visa is usually granted by employers if they are hiring international students in specialty areas such as software, engineering, accountancy, teaching or marketing. Once your employer grants your H1-B, you are allowed to work in the US without returning to your home country.

6.Value Addition and Cultural Enhancement:

Around 30 percent of all international students in the world study in the US. So, as an international student, you will have the unique privilege to interact with a lot of people from a lot of different nationalities. This exposure will not only enhance your cultural and artistic faculties, but will also help you learn a lot more about the world. The exciting cultural exchange and international diversity will certainly enrich your life both personally and academically. Your new friends will be your new family.

Education System in USA

Education System in USA

Although some of the following definitions may be useful to professionals working in the U.S., this section is designed especially for overseas staff and faculty who work with U.S. students. A comprehensive list would be many times as long; nonetheless, this short compendium is designed to include many of the terms that host country educators working with U.S. students are most likely to encounter

1. Types of Educational Institutions

The following definitions are based on U.S. usages. Some terms have different meanings in other Anglophone countries.

Carnegie Classification: A categorization of U.S. higher education institutions maintained by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and widely used within U.S. academia. Basic categories include: Associate’s Colleges; Doctorate Granting Universities; Master’s Colleges and Universities; Baccalaureate Colleges; Special Focus Institutions; and Tribal Colleges.

College: 1) A type of institution of higher education. The distinction between a college and a university is not sharply defined; however in general a college tends to be smaller and offer fewer fields of study than a university, and awards few or no graduate degrees. 2) Within a university, a curricular subdivision that groups related disciplines such as a College of Arts and Sciences, a College of Business, or a College of Engineering. 3) In some Anglophone countries, and with somewhat increasing frequency in the U.S., a student housing and social unit. 4) In some large universities, the undergraduate divisions of subject areas.

Community College: A two-year, public institution of higher education. Community colleges are designed to offer the first two years of a four-year college degree, as well as terminal two-year associate’s degrees. Four-year institutions typically accept community college credits for transfer. Many community colleges also offer associates degrees or vocational certificates in technical fields. Some community colleges are now offering four-year bachelor’s degrees. Formerly referred to as a Junior College, a term now used only for private two-year institutions.

Degree-Granting Institution: Postsecondary educational institutions that award accredited associate’s, baccalaureate, or graduate degrees.

HBCU (Historically Black College or University): A set of higher education institutions, mostly in the southern and eastern sections of the U.S., that were originally aimed at, or restricted to, African-American students. These tend still to have predominantly African-American student bodies.

Higher Education: A subcategory of postsecondary education that generally leads to a college or university degree.

Hispanic-Serving Institution: : A college, university, or other educational institution that includes a significant proportion of Hispanic students (at least 25% by the definition used by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities).

K-12 Education: Term used widely in the U.S. to describe collectively primary and secondary education. (“K” refers to kindergarten and “12” to twelfth grade, normally the last year in a U.S. high school education.)

Land Grant Institution: A college or university whose state legislature has designated it to receive benefits under the Morrill Acts of 1862 and 1890, which awarded public lands to the recipient universities. Originally these benefits came in the form of federal lands to be used by each state to establish a public institution that would focus on, or at least complement traditional classical studies, with the study of such practical fields as agriculture and engineering. Although the federal support targeted specifically to land grant institutions has diminished greatly over the years and no longer comes in the form of land land grant institutions still retain a strong identity as such.

Liberal Arts College: A college whose curriculum consists mostly or entirely of courses and degree programs in the natural sciences, social and behavioral sciences, humanities, and fine and performing arts. Although the majority of liberal arts colleges in the U.S. are private, they may be public as well.

Postsecondary Education (or Tertiary Education): Education beyond the high school level.

Private Institution: : An institution runs by a nonprofit organization or a for-profit corporation. In the U.S. a private institution may be secular or may be associated, to varying degrees, with a religious organization.

Public Institution: An institution that is chartered, regulated, and at least partially, funded by a unit of government, most often a state, and overseen by publicly appointed or elected officials.

Tribal College:A college, usually two-year that is overseen by, and typically located on, a Native American reservation.

University:A type of institution of higher education that typically offers a varied curriculum, including one or more professional fields and at least some graduate degrees.

Vocational/Technical Education: A subcategory of post secondary education focused on preparation for a specific occupation or trade and not leading to an academic degree. Examples include beauty schools, electronics schools, or secretarial schools. Credits earned at vocational or technical institutions are typically not accepted for transfer by institutions of higher education.

2. Degrees and Educational Levels

Many of the terms below have fairly standard meanings from one country to another; however, some tend to be little used outside the U.S.

Associate’s Degree: A degree granted for successfully completing at least two years of undergraduate study in a prescribed academic program. Associate’s degrees are awarded by community, technical, and tribal colleges and by some programs in four-year institutions.

Bachelor’s Degree (or Baccalaureate Degree): A degree awarded for completion of a prescribed academic program (generally four years or longer) of college or university study. In some academic fields at some institutions completion of the degree may require five years. In a number of other countries the counterpart undergraduate degree is based on three years of postsecondary study. (Typically in such countries, however, students must complete thirteen years of primary and secondary education before entering the university, as opposed to twelve in the U.S.) The two most common baccalaureate degrees are the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.). The former typically requires more breadth of course work and the latter more specialization.

Certificate:A non-degree recognition that a student has completed a prescribed program or set of requirements.

Class Standing:A student’s year in school or status (first-year student, sophomore, junior, or senior) based on the student’s progression (amount of time and/or number of credits) towards finishing degree requirements.

Degree:An academic title awarded by an institution to a student who successfully completes a prescribed program of studies

Degree-Seeking Student:A student who has been admitted to, and is enrolled at, an educational institution in a status designed to lead to a degree.

Doctoral Degree (or Doctorate):The highest level of graduate degree granted in certain academic fields in U.S. higher education. Typically requires four to six years or more of post-baccalaureate study with a dissertation as a capstone. The most common doctorate, called the “Doctor of Philosophy” (Ph.D.), is awarded in a large number of disciplines, not exclusively philosophy. Several fields of study, such as Doctor of Medicine (M.D.); Doctor of Law (Juris Doctorate or LL.D.); and Education (Ed.D) have their own doctoral degree designations.

Dual Degree:Two degrees awarded to a single student by two different institutions by way of a formal articulation program between the institutions. The curriculum of the dual-degree program may be under the direction of a joint program faculty, with equal representation from each participating institution, or curriculum may be the separate responsibility of each institution.

Fifth-Year Senior:A student who has completed more than four years of undergraduate studies but has not graduated. Some bachelor’s degree programs, for example, in engineering, may require five years of coursework to complete.

First-Year Student (synonymous with, and gaining currency over, Freshman):A first-year undergraduate student. Often defined operationally in terms of number of credits or courses the student has completed (for example, less than 1/4 of the credits needed to finish a four year program). Definitions vary slightly from institution to institution

Gap Year:An extra year that some students take between high school graduation and the beginning of higher education studies. Students sometimes use such a year for international work, internships, volunteering, or study.

Graduate Student:A student enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree beyond the baccalaureate level.

Graduate Study:Most often used broadly to describe any study leading to a degree beyond the baccalaureate level. Sometimes, however, it is defined more narrowly to include only those fields whose students are enrolled in an institution’s Graduate School and to exclude those students enrolled in separately organized professional schools, such as a law school or medical school.

Joint Degree:A degree jointly offered and jointly awarded by more than one institution. A joint degree program leads to a single credential or degree conferred by all participating institutions. All institutions share responsibility for all aspects of the program’s delivery and quality. The curriculum of the joint degree program is under the direction of a joint program faculty, with representation from each participating institution.

Junior:A third-year undergraduate student. Often defined in terms of credits completed (for example, between 1/2 and 3/4 of a four-year program).

Leave of Absence:A formally arranged period of time taken away from college or university as a break from studies. Institutions have requirements detailing how long a student may be gone and how to re-enroll.

Master’s Degree: A graduate degree designed to require one to two years of full-time (or equivalent) post-baccalaureate study. The M.A. (Master of Arts) is granted in the largest number of disciplines; different fields of study have their own degree designations, such as M.Ed. (Master of Education); M.S. (Master of Science); M.P.H. (Master of Public Health) or M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration).

Non-Degree Student (sometimes also referred to as Non-Matriculated Student): A student who is enrolled in classes but has not been admitted to the institution in a degree-seeking status. Degree-granting institutions that permit students from other institutions to participate in their study abroad programs typically choose to place visiting students in non-degree status. Students on reciprocal student exchange programs are also usually considered non-degree students at their host institutions.

Postgraduate Education: Education beyond the terminal degree (for example, Ph.D., J.D., or M.D.). Although this is the most common definition in the U.S., in some other systems (for example, British) the term means education beyond the undergraduate degree.

Professional Degree:A post-baccalaureate degree in a field such as medicine, business, law, the fine and performing arts.

Professional Student:1) A student pursuing professional study specifically at the post-baccalaureate level (as in “graduate and professional students”; see Professional Study). 2) A student pursuing professional study at any level, including undergraduate. 3) A colloquial term describing a student at any level who has been a student for much longer than is typically required for his/her desired degree.

Professional Study: A program of university-level study designed to train students for a specific profession such as engineering, teaching, law, medicine, or architecture.

Retention Rate:1) Percentage of students who remain enrolled (or who earn a degree) at the end of a defined period of time. 2) In the field of education abroad, there are two additional usages of the term: a) the number of students who participate in an education abroad program as a percentage of those who originally inquired about it, or who applied, or who were accepted for participation; or b) the percentage of students who remain at their home institution and complete their degree after their education abroad experience

Senior:An undergraduate student in the fourth year or later, often defined in terms of credits completed (for example, at least 3/4 of a four-year program).

Sophomore:A second-year undergraduate student, often defined in terms of credits completed (for example, between 1/4 and 1/2 of a four-year program).

Stop Out:To take a leave of absence with the intent to resume studies shortly.

Terminal Degree:The highest degree offered in a particular field of study.

Time to Graduation:Number of semesters, trimesters, quarters, or years it takes a student to finish his/her degree requirements.

Transfer Student:A student enrolled at an institution who has previously pursued study at the same level (for example, undergraduate) at one or more other institutions of higher education. The term applies regardless of whether the current institution accepts any degree credit from the previous institution(s).

Undergraduate Student:A student enrolled in a baccalaureate or associate degree program.

Undergraduate Study:Study toward a baccalaureate or associate’s degree.

3. Credit and Instruction

The terms below include those related to the administrative aspects of coursework offered by U.S. institutions of higher education.

Academic Credit:A defined measure of academic accomplishment that is used to determine a student’s progress toward a degree, a certificate, or other formal academic recognition. In the U.S., credit is most commonly counted as credit hours (or credits or units at some institutions) that are assigned to each course. Some institutions count courses rather than credit.

Accreditation:A process of reviewing a school’s programs and academics to ensure that quality programs are delivered and meet established standards. The accreditation process, conducted by external reviewers, may include reviews of a school’s mission, faculty qualifications, curricula, institutional self-evaluations, peer reviews, committee reviews, and suggestions for improvement. External reviewers and processes are determined through evaluation by recognized agencies (in the U.S.) or the Ministry of Education (in many other countries).

Accredited:An adjective applied to institutions, schools, departments, or programs that have completed an accreditation process as determined by an accrediting board, organization, or ministry.

A-F Grading:The most common U.S. grading scale, in which A is the highest grade and F is a failing grade. Some institutions add +’s and —‘s to the grades of A, B, C, D, and/or F, and a few grant intermediate grades (for example, AB to indicate a grade half-way between A and B). There is no E in most U.S. grading systems.

Audit:To take a course without the possibility of academic credit. Also used as a noun (“I took the course as an audit”).

Capstone:A culminating scholarly activity or course designed to integrate the student’s learning and activities within a particular field or major department. In U.S. higher education, students are often required to produce a capstone project or thesis in their final year of study.

Co-Curricular:Activities, programs or events that complement or enhance curricular programming or goals. Co-curricular activities and programs are typically non-academic in nature, but relate other activities and experiences to the established curriculum or pedagogy. These can be either intentionally offered by the program or institution, or can be student-initiated and driven.

Course Description:A brief narrative description of the subject content of an academic course (“course” in the U.S. sense of the term).

Course Load:The number of courses for which a student is registered during a specified period of time. At some U.S. institutions all courses have the same weight (or number of credit hours), and a student’s load is measured by courses rather than credits.

Credit by Evaluation:Academic credit that is assessed and awarded for students’ experiences (academic, work, life experiences, or other). May be used by some institutions to award credit for learning achieved on non-accredited study abroad programs, or other overseas living experiences, for which the home institution will not grant transfer credit.

Credit by Exam:Credit awarded by an institution on the basis of an exam that evaluates a student’s proficiency in the subject matter (for example, language proficiency). Some institutions allow students to use this mechanism to earn credit for learning on non-accredited study abroad programs.

Credit Conversion:The process of determining the number of credits an institution should award to a student for courses taken abroad or at another U.S. institution with a different credit system (for example, quarter credits can be converted to semester credits, or European credits to U.S. credits).

Credit Load:The number of credit hours for which a student is registered in a specified period of time. At some U.S. institutions all courses have the same weight (or number of credit hours), and a student’s load is measured by courses rather than credits.

Curricular:Pertaining to the academic programming offered by an educational institution or program. In the education abroad context, curricular activities are those that are directly associated with academic work.

Curriculum:1) A set of expectations and requirements for an overall program of study. 2) A collection of course offerings for a specific program of study (such as a degree program or a study abroad program).

Distance Education:A mode of delivering academic programming away from the campus, or at least away from the classroom, through such means as television, Internet, correspondence courses, CD-ROMs, etc.

Extracurricular:Activities outside the regular academic curriculum of the program or institution. Includes co-curricular activities as well as activities unrelated to the educational mission of the program or institution.

Full Load:1) The number of courses or credits a student must take in order to graduate within the expected number of years (four years in most undergraduate programs, which would typically require 15 credits per semester or quarter). 2) The minimum number of courses or credits a student must carry in order to be eligible for full financial aid and other benefits allowed only to full-time students. At many institutions a full load for financial aid purposes is smaller (typically, 12 credits per semester) than a full load by the first definition.

Full-Time Status:Status of a student enrolled in a full load of courses as identified by a particular institution.

Grade Conversion:The process by which an institution translates a grade earned abroad, or at another U.S. institution with a different grading system, to an equivalent grade of its own.

Grade Point Average (or GPA):A value given to the average grade a student achieved for a particular period of time (for example, term or degree program). The most common system of calculating GPA in the U.S. uses a four-point scale in which 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0 points are assigned to each credit of A, B, C, D, and F, respectively. Pluses or minuses (for example, A+ or B—) are generally assigned intermediate values (for example, 3.67 for an A—, 3.33 for a B+). A smaller number of institutions use other scales for calculating a student’s GPA; in the U.S. a small minority of institutions do not calculate the GPA.

Grade Report:1) List of students and their grades prepared by a course instructor and turned in to the responsible authority for posting on the students’ transcripts. 2) Document produced by an educational institution or agency showing the courses, credits, and grades earned by a student at that institution/agency, usually for a brief period of study, such as a quarter or semester. It may be a semiofficial document, but it is only for the personal use of the student and/or internal use at an institution of higher education. The only truly official academic record at a college or university is the transcript. Some institutions do award resident credit for study abroad on an AFFILIATED program based on a grade report from the provider, however.

Graduate Credit:Academic credit that is potentially applicable to a graduate-level degree. In most course numbering systems graduate courses bear numbers above 500 or above 5000.

Incomplete:Grade indicating the student has not completed requirements for a course, but still has the opportunity to do so. Usually indicated on a transcript as a grade of “I.” At some institutions an “I” automatically becomes an F after a specified period of time if the student does not complete the missing coursework.

Independent Study (or Directed Study):Academic work carried out by a student, on his or her own, outside of a class setting. Normally, contact hours for such courses take the form of individual consultation between student and faculty, and the student work is most often research.

Lower Division Credit:Credit awarded for a course designed primarily for first- and second-year undergraduates. In most course numbering systems such courses bear numbers between 100 and 299 or between 1000 and 2999.

Non-accredited:Either not evaluated by a recognized higher education accrediting agency or not meeting an agency’s standards. See Accredited.

Non-credit:Coursework or co-curricular activities for which students do not earn academic credit

Pass-Fail Grading (or Pass/No Pass grading, or S/N grading for Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory):A grading scale that simply notes whether a student passed or failed the course. The requirements of a “pass” grade are determined by the awarding body. The manner in which the pass-fail grades are handled varies by institution and sometimes even by discipline. Some fully count the credit whereas others put limits on how it can be used.

Pedagogy:1) The science and theory behind the practice of teaching. 2) Teaching techniques/approaches used by an instructor.

Resident Credit: Academic credit earned at an institution by a student who is in a degree program at that institution. An institution may designate credit earned on approved study abroad programs to be resident credit. Some institutions allow grades earned on an approved study abroad program to count in the student’s GPA, although institutional policies vary in this respect.

Syllabus:detailed summary of the content and requirements of an academic course. A syllabus typically includes such things as course objectives, lecture or discussion topics, assigned and optional readings, writing assignments, and evaluation criteria.

Transcript (or Grade Transcript):Document produced by an educational institution showing the courses, credits, grades, and degrees earned by a specific student at that institution. Most institutions issue both official transcripts (produced on official paper and/or with official seals, and often mailed directly to another institution) and unofficial transcripts (often issued directly to the student on ordinary paper).

Transfer Credit: Academic credit earned at another institution and accepted in lieu of resident credit toward the degree at a student’s home institution. Grades earned usually do not count in the student’s GPA. Each institution sets its own limit on the number of transfer credit hours that can be accepted.

Undergraduate Credit: Academic credit that will apply toward a degree, certificate, or other formal academic recognition for a student completing a program that is at the baccalaureate level or lower.

Upper Division Credit:Credit awarded for a course designed primarily for juniors and seniors. In most course numbering systems such courses bear numbers between 300 and 499 or between 3000 and 4999.

Withdrawal:Grade indicating a student officially dropped a course and will earn no credit. Usually indicated on a transcript as a W. Does not affect the student’s GPA.

4. Classes and Courses

This section addresses terms that have multiple meanings in multiple countries. It aims to provide guidance to overseas professionals working with U.S. undergraduates.

Class: 1) All instances of a regularly scheduled meeting when a particular group of students are instructed in a designated subject or topic. Successful completion of the class based on faculty assessment results in the awarding of credit(s) toward a student’s graduation. 2) Any single meeting time of a regularly scheduled class as described in the first definition. 3) A student cohort that completed or is scheduled to complete degree requirements simultaneously (for example, “the Class of 2015”).

Contact Hour: An hour of scheduled instruction given to students. In many systems of accounting, a contact hour actually consists of 50 minutes. In typical U.S. systems, one semester credit requires 15 contact hours and one quarter credit requires 10 contact hours per week.

Course: 1) An individual class (see the first definition of class above; for example, “I need five courses in history to graduate”). This is the most common use of the term in the U.S. system. 2) The degree-seeking process as a whole (for example, “My course of study was history.”). This usage is secondary in the U.S. but primary in a number of other Anglophone countries.

Cross-Listing: Assigning the same offering of a course to more than one academic department or discipline, or to more than one level. For example, a student might have the option of registering for a course on History of Argentina for History credit or for Latin American Studies credit; or a course might be available at either the lower division or the upper division level (with some differences in course requirements between the two).

Discipline: An area of academic study or branch of knowledge that constitutes a field unto itself. Examples include accounting, agronomy, art history, electrical engineering, political science, and social work, etc. Disciplines in turn are often grouped under broader designations according to their subject, such as business, engineering, fine arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. “Multidisciplinary” or “interdisciplinary” courses or research combine the subject areas of more than one discipline.

Double Degree (or Dual Degree): 1) Pursuit of two different degrees simultaneously at the same institution (for example, a B.A. degree with an anthropology major and a B.S. degree in mechanical engineering). 2) Pursuit of degrees simultaneously from two cooperating institutions (sometimes in different countries), whether in the same or different fields. In either case the double degree typically takes less time than would the two if pursued entirely independently.

Double Major: Pursuit of two majors simultaneously (for example, “She has a double major in Spanish and international relations”). Also used as a verb (“He is double-majoring in agronomy and cell biology”).

Elective (or Elective Course): A course that counts toward the total number of credits needed for graduation but does not fulfill more specific degree requirements (such as major or minor or general education requirements). Sometimes used also within a major or minor to indicate a course that fills a general major requirement but not a specific one. (For example, a political science major might require one course in political philosophy, one course in American politics, one course in comparative politics, and one elective in political science.)

General Education (or Liberal Education or Liberal Arts Education): The academic tradition in U.S. undergraduate education that requires students not only to have a primary course of study, but also to take classes in a variety of different “core” disciplines (humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, fine arts, etc.). The goal is to foster student learning earmarked by reflecting both “depth” and “breadth.”

Hour of Student Effort: An hour spent by a student on work designed to fulfill course requirements. Hours of student effort include not only contact hours, but also hours spent on such activities as course-related reading, research, and writing for term papers, as well as field work, field trips, and studying for exams, etc. In typical U.S. systems faculty are urged to design their courses so that an average student invests about 45 hours of effort per semester credit (normally consisting of 15 contact hours plus 30 hours out of class), or 30 hours per quarter credit (10 and 20, respectively).

Major: The field of study that comprises an undergraduate’s academic specialization while at university/college. In the U.S. system of higher education, students typically “declare” a major within the first two years of their undergraduate careers. Majors tend to require 10–12 courses in a specific discipline or area of knowledge. Used also as a verb (“I am majoring in psychology”).

Minor: A field of study that reflects an emphasis within a student’s academic career, but is not as comprehensive or encompassing as a major. Minors tend to require four to five courses in a specific discipline or area of knowledge. Used also as a verb (“I plan to minor in chemistry”).

Online Course: A course offered via the Internet, whether by a traditional physical institution with a campus or an entirely online, or virtual, institution.

Prerequisites: Those classes that must be taken by a student before admission into advanced classes is permitted.

Subject: Used interchangeably with either major (“Her subject at college was history”) or discipline (“The subject of the class was history”).

5. Academic Calendars

There is no national academic calendar in the U.S.; individual institutions usually determine their own calendars. The following are the calendar systems and elements most commonly used by U.S. higher education institutions.

4-1-4 System: Semester system that includes a fall semester, spring semester and a three- to five-week term between fall and spring semesters, so that spring semester begins later than in a typical semester system. In some 4-1-4 systems the extra term is required for graduation; in others it is optional or is required only for a specified number of years.

January Term (or J-Term, or Intersession): The shorter term between fall and spring semesters. Some institutions on this calendar require the J-term for graduation; at others it is optional or is required only for a specified number of years.

4-4-1 System: Semester system similar to the 4-1-4 system except that the three- to four-week term (sometimes called Maymester or May Term), almost always optional, comes after spring semester, typically in May.

Modular System (or Block System): A relatively uncommon academic calendar in which students take just one course at a time. One block, or term, usually lasts three or four weeks.

Quarter System: Academic calendar consisting of three periods during the regular academic year, each typically 10 to 11 weeks in duration, plus one or more summer periods that typically are optional and operate with reduced enrollments. In the most common variant, fall quarter runs from late September to mid-December, winter quarter from early January to mid-March, and spring quarter from late March to mid-June. Students normally must complete twelve quarters of full-time study or the equivalent to obtain a four-year undergraduate degree in the U.S.

Semester System: Academic calendar consisting of two terms during the regular academic year, typically 14 to 16 weeks each in duration. Usually fall semester begins in late August or early September and finishes in mid-December or later; spring semester typically begins in early to mid-January and ends in late April to mid-May. There may also be one or more summer sessions, which usually are optional and shorter than semesters. Students typically must complete eight semesters of full-time study or the equivalent to obtain a four-year undergraduate degree in the U.S. This is the most common academic calendar among U.S. institutions of higher education.

Summer Session (or Summer School): A period of study during the summer that is shorter than a semester and is not considered part of the regular academic year. Some institutions divide the summer into two or more sessions.

Trimester System: Academic calendar consisting of three terms during the regular academic year, each typically 10 to 11 weeks in duration. Unlike in the Quarter System, typically there is not a summer session. Students normally must complete twelve quarters of full-time study or the equivalent to obtain a four-year undergraduate degree in the U.S.

6. Selected Higher Education Organizations

The following are the higher education associations with which education abroad professionals are likely to have contact. Because they tend to be referred to by their acronyms more often than their full names, entries begin with, and are alphabetized by, the acronym or abbreviated name.

AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers): Individual membership association of higher education admissions and registration professionals in the U.S. and other countries around the world. Mission is to “serve and advance higher education by proving leadership in academic and enrollment services.” AACRAO also coordinates the International Education Services (IES), which provides training and guidance on credential evaluation services.

AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business): Association of educational institutions, businesses, and other organizations devoted to the advancement of higher education in management education. AACSB bills itself as the premier accrediting agency of collegiate business schools and accounting programs worldwide.

ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology): Federation of professional and technical societies representing the academic world and industry. ABET promotes quality and innovation, including through its role as the primary accrediting agency in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology.

ACE (American Council on Education): Organization representing higher education presidents and chancellors. Through advocacy, research, and innovative programs, ACE has become one of the strongest voices for higher education in the U.S. It is an advocate for the strengthening of international education.

ACPA (American College Personnel Association): Professional organization representing student affairs professionals in higher education. Provides outreach, advocacy, research, and professional development to foster college student learning. As of 2010 it is engaged in serious merger discussions with NASPA (National Association of Student Personnel Administrators).

ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages): Individual membership organization of foreign language educators and administrators from elementary through graduate education, as well as government and industry. ACTFL focuses on the improvement and expansion of teaching and learning of all languages at all levels of instruction.

AIEA (Association of International Education Administrators): Association of higher education senior international officers, dedicated to advancing the international dimensions of higher education.

AIRC (American International Recruitment Council): U.S.-based institutional membership association of accredited U.S. post-secondary institutions and student recruitment agencies for the purpose of establishing quality standards, including ethical guidelines, for U.S. institutions recruiting international students.

AMPEI (Asociación Mexicana para la Educación International): Individual membership association dedicated to improving the academic quality of Mexican educational institutions by means of international cooperation.

APAIE (Asian-Pacific Association of International Educators): Individual member organization promoting international education in higher education in the Asia-Pacific region. Open to members anywhere, although its membership core is in East and Southeast Asia and Australia.

APLU (Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities): Institutional membership association of public research universities, land-grant institutions, and state university systems. APLU provides a forum for the discussion and development of policies and programs affecting higher education and the public interest. Formerly known as National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges (NASULGC).

CBIE (Canadian Bureau for International Education): Institutional membership association dedicated to the advancement of international education from K-12 through graduate levels. Encourages study in Canada, and study abroad by Canadians, through exchanges, scholarships, training awards and internships. CBIE also coordinates research, professional development, and training for international educators in Canada.

EAIE (European Association for International Education): Europe-based individual member organization focused on international education in Europe at the post-secondary level.

Forum on Education Abroad: An institutional membership organization that promotes the advancement of the field of education abroad through standards of good practice, improving study abroad curricula, promoting data collection and outcomes assessment, and advocating for high quality education abroad programs.

HACU (Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities): Institutional membership organization representing the interests of Hispanic students at colleges and universities in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Latin America, Spain and Portugal. Most members are U.S. institutions serving substantial numbers of Hispanic students.

IIE (Institute of International Education): U.S.-based organization that works closely with governments, foundations, and other sponsors to promote closer relations between the people of the U.S. and those of other countries, for study and training for students, educators and professionals. It administers a number of important programs with the U.S. Department of State, including the Fulbright Program and Gilman Scholarships. IIE also conducts policy research, provides resources on international exchange opportunities, offers support to scholars in danger, and compiles an annual statistical report on international educational exchange.

NACADA (National Academic Advising Association): A U.S.-based individual membership association of professional advisers, counselors, faculty, administrators, and students that promotes and supports quality academic advising in institutions of higher education to enhance the educational development of students.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators: A U.S.-based individual membership association for international education professionals that focuses especially on advocacy and professional development. The acronym originally stood for National Association of Foreign Student Advisers. NAFSA’s mission and membership have broadened through the years to include all aspects of international educational exchange.

NASFAA (National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators): A U.S.-based institutional and individual membership organization that provides advocacy, training, and professional support to individuals and organizations involved in the administration of student financial aid at postsecondary education institutions.

NASPA: Student Personnel Administrators in Higher Education: An individual membership organization focused on student affairs administration. Provides guidance and support on policy, practice, and research on student life and learning in higher education. The acronym originally stood for National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.

7. The Field of International Education

The term “international education” is often applied to a myriad of professions, activities, and disciplines. The following definitions position education abroad within those activities and highlight those terms that are sometimes used interchangeably with “education abroad.

Curriculum Enhancement: An institution’s use of education abroad to enhance its academic range by offering courses not available on the home campus.

Curriculum Integration: Incorporating coursework taken abroad into the academic context of the home campus. It involves weaving study abroad into the fabric of the on-campus curriculum through activities such as course matching, academic advising, departmental and collegiate informational and promotional materials, and the structuring of degree requirements. It often requires the review of coursework by the home institution’s academic departments.

International Education: 1) A field involved in facilitating and supporting the migration of students and scholars across geopolitical borders. Professionals involved in this field may be employees of educational institutions, government agencies, or independent program and service providers. This may include, but is not limited to (on U.S. campuses), support for matriculating and exchange students from countries outside the United States, instruction in English as a second language, international student recruitment, assessment of non-U.S. higher education credentials, student services for postgraduate research students and fellows, facilitation of education abroad for U.S. students, and (outside the U.S.) support and services for visiting U.S. students. 2) The knowledge and skills resulting from conducting a portion of one’s education in another country. As a more general term, this definition applies to international activity that occurs at any level of education (K-12, undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate).

International Educational Exchange: The migration of students (secondary, undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate) and scholars between educational institutions in different countries. A narrower usage of the term “exchange” refers to reciprocal agreements that allow students, faculty, or staff to spend a specified period of time at institutional partners of their home institutions.

International Experience: Any opportunity, credit-bearing or non-credit-bearing, undertaken by a student outside his or her home country.

International Program: 1) Any university/college activity, credit-bearing or non-credit-bearing, with an international dimension (for example, non-credit-bearing study tour, credit-bearing study abroad program). 2) An education abroad program. 3) An administrative and/or academic unit responsible for global efforts (for example, Office of International Programs).

International Relations (or International Studies or Global Studies): An interdisciplinary field of study (historically, often considered an extension of political science but more often embracing many disciplines) that studies foreign affairs, relations among state and non-state actors, and other transnational social phenomena (globalization, terrorism, environmental policy, etc.).

Internationalization at Home: Efforts to internationalize a university’s home campus so that its students are exposed to international learning without leaving the home campus.

Internationalizing the Curriculum: A movement to incorporate international content throughout an educational institution’s curriculum.

8. Grading System

Just like American students, you will have to submit your academic transcripts as part of your application for admission to university or college. Academic transcripts are official copies of your academic work. In the U.S. this includes your “grades” and “grade point average” (GPA), which are measurements of your academic achievement. Courses are commonly graded using percentages, which are converted into letter grades.

edu11 min - Education System in USA

The grading system and GPA in the U.S. can be confusing, especially for international students. The interpretation of grades has a lot of variation. For example, two students who attended different schools both submit their transcripts to the same university. They both have 3.5 GPAs, but one student attended an average high school, while the other attended a prestigious school that was academically challenging. The university might interpret their GPAs differently because the two schools have dramatically different standards.

Therefore, there are some crucial things to keep in mind:

  • You should find out the U.S. equivalent of the last level of education you completed in your home country.
  • Pay close attention to the admission requirements of each university and college, as well as individual degree programs, which may have different requirements than the university.
  • Regularly meet with an educational advisor or guidance counselor to make sure you are meeting the requirements.

Your educational advisor or guidance counselor will be able to advise you on whether or not you must spend an extra year or two preparing for U.S. university admission. If an international student entered a U.S. university or college prior to being eligible to attend university in their own country, some countries’ governments and employers may not recognize the students’ U.S. education.

9. Structure of Education System in USA:

edu21 min - Education System in USA

Types of Degrees

Types of US College Degrees

US college degrees fall under four major categories:

Associate’s Degree

You can earn an associate’s degree after two years at a US community college.

Many students who earn an associate’s degree continue their schooling at another US college or university in order to earn a bachelor’s degree. Speak with your college adviser if you want to transfer to another college or university.

Types of associate’s degrees:
  • associate of arts
  • associate of science
  • associate of applied science
  • associate of occupational studies

If you eventually want to earn a bachelor’s degree, take an AA or AS program. AAS and AOS programs are meant to help you find a job immediately after earning your degree.

Bachelor’s Degree

Students at four-year undergraduate colleges and universities in the USA earn bachelor’s degrees.

Most students earn one of two types of bachelor’s degrees:
  • bachelor of arts
  • bachelor of science

You also may earn a more specialized bachelor’s degree, such as a bachelor of arts in journalism

Colleges and universities in America have their own list of majors in which you can earn a bachelor’s degree. Some even will let you create your own college major!

Master’s Degree

You can earn a master’s degree at a US graduate school in nearly any field.

The subject you study will determine the type of master’s degree you will earn, such as a:

  • master of arts
  • master of science
  • master of business administration

Some master’s degree programs are terminal, but others can eventually lead to a doctoral degree.
Before you are accepted into a master’s degree program, you probably will need to take the GRE or GMAT.

Doctoral Degree

A doctoral degree is the highest type of US college degree.

A doctor of philosophy (PhD) is the most common type of doctoral degree. Some fields, however, require a doctoral degree before you can obtain a job, including:

  • doctors
  • lawyers
  • dentists
  • veterinarians

Fields such as these may also require professional US licensure

Weblink: http://www.universitylanguage.com/guides

Eligibility Requirement

Eligibility Requirement

All students must have the required English language proficiency with regards to the course. Minimum criteria for IELTS is 6.0 and TOEFL is 80 ibt. Some institutions are also accepting PTE for admission and minimum requirement is 54.

Students from Engineering school have to appear for GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and have to score minimum 300 to get admission in good university. Management students have to appear for GMAT (Graduate Management Aptitude Test) and students have to score minimum 600 to get admission in good university.

Students Undergraduate stuidents will appear SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) to get admission in colleges/university.

Entry Requirements + Eligibility

  • Undergraduate: 10+2
  • Graduate:16 years of education required (10+2+4)
  • Some institutions accept 15 years education into their Bridge /Masters Programs
  • Good & strong academic background
  • Good scores in entrance exams like SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS etc
  • Strong recommendation letters
  • To the point Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement, essays & resumes
  • Certificates of achievement & extra -curricular activity participation
  • Strong financial background or good grades to get a scholarship

USA Student Visa Document Checklist for Admission

SR No Document Description
1 Transcript
Master/ Bachelor / Diploma / 12th /10th
Transcript require in Seal envelop & must be attested by
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle
2 Degree Certificate
Master/ Bachelor/ Diploma
Degree Certificate must be attested by authorize person of particular institute or University
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle/HOD
3 Provisional Degree certificate / Bona fide Certificate
Bachelor / Master / Diploma / 12th
Provisional degree Certificate / Bona fide certificate must be attested by authorize person of particular institute or University
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle/HOD
4 Mark sheets
Diploma / Bachelor / Master
All mark sheets are must be attested by authorize person of particular institute, College or University (Including backlog mark sheet)
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle/HOD
5 HSC (12th)
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate require in seal
envelop and attested by principle or authorize person
Principle/Class Teacher
6 SSC (10th)
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate require in seal envelop and attested by principle or authorize person
Principle/Class Teacher
7 Recommendation Letter
Master degree Application – 3
Bachelor degree Application – 2
(If student has completed 10+ diploma than one recommendation require from diploma)

– LOR require on letter head of college/ University/ School
– LOR must be in seal envelop
– LOR must be attested by authorize person
– Signature & Designation require of LOR provider
– Contact detail and Email id require of LOR provider
Professor / Asst. Professor/Principle/ Registrar/HOD
8 Bank Statement – Bank Statement require on Letter head of particular bank
– Must be Sign & Stamp by authorize person
– Amount must be Converted into US $
9 Affidavit of Support AOS require on 20 to 100 RS stamp paper with red seal of notary
10 IELTS / TOEFL/GRE/GMAT/SAT Score card or Date Confirmation require for admission process
11 Statement of Purpose University & Program specific SOP require
12 Resume Resume must include student’s Personal detail, Education detail and work experience detail(If Work Exp. Having)
13 Passport Front and back side of passport Xerox copy ( 6 month valid)
14 Work Experience Letter (If have) Work Experience Letter (If have)
15 Extra Curriculum documents Any extra curriculum activities certificate


Expenses, Tuition Fees iving Costs

US Universities fall under two major categories:

  • Public (state supported), and
  • Private (independent) institutions.
University Type Average Tuition Fees (annual in U.S. Dollars)
Private Institutions (High Cost) $ 35,000
Private Institutions (Low Cost) $ 18,000
State Institutions (High Cost) $ 25,000
State Institutions (Low Cost) $ 12,000

The tuition fee is different for different universities and varies widely with courses. It can vary from as low as $ 10000 a year for state universities to as much as $ 35000 per annum for some private universities. For more specific details, please contact the universities.

Living Expenses

The approximate annual living expenses are about $10,000, which includes accommodation as well as other daily expenses. However, the expenses are different for different people depending on the lifestyles and this is just a rough idea. The main expenses can be split up as:

Rent $ 400 per month(you can live alone with that
amount in a place like Auburn or
share an apartment with 6 people in NY)
Groceries $ 100 per month
Utilities $ 100 per month
Phone $ 100 per month
Sundry $ 200 per month

So, about $1000 per month is a good estimation. Most people can survive with $700-$1000 a month. The key here is to share apartments/houses so that you save on the utilities, fixed charge portion of phone and to some extent on groceries



  • Spring: January/February
  • Fall: August/September
  • Summer: April/May
  • Winter: December

US universities have 4 intakes:

Major intake is the Fall intake, but most of the universities are open for Spring and few of them for summer & winter intake too. However all subjects commence in Fall and only some in Winter and Summer intake.


Scholarships for International Students

The United States is one of the prime destinations for students who are looking to benefit from a top notch and widely recognized international education. However, there are limited scholarship options for international students who wish to study in the US for free. To help you, scholars4dev.com compiled a list of
scholarships in USA offered by US Colleges and Universities as well as scholarships granted by US government and institutions.

USA Government Scholarships for International Students

Foreign Fulbright Student Program

The Fulbright Program are full scholarships in USA for international students who wants to pursue a Master’s or PhD degree. The scholarships can also be awarded for non-degree postgraduate studies. The grant covers tuition fee, textbooks, airfare, a living stipend, and health insurance.

Humphrey Fellowship Program

The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program provides a year of professional enrichment in the United States for experienced professionals from designated countries throughout the world. Fellows are selected based on their potential for leadership and their commitment to public service in either the public or private sector. The fellowships are full grants covering all related expenses.

US Colleges and Universities that offer Scholarships for International Students

American University Scholarships

American University (AU) awards a limited number of generous partial merit scholarships to academically-qualified incoming international first-year undergraduate students. No need-based financial aid is available to international students. The merit scholarship range from U.S.$6,000 to U.S.$22,000 per academic year (renewable subject to conditions). The University also offers the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Program which awards scholarships to high-achieving international students who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree at the University and who are dedicated to positive civic and social change. It is intended for students who will be to returning home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.

Amherst College Scholarships

Amherst College currently runs a need-based financial aid program that provides assistance to financially needy international students. Once you have been admitted, your financial need is determined. A financial aid award that is equal to your need will then be offered. The award is sometimes called an “aid package” because it may include both self-help (employment) and gift aid (scholarships and grants).

Arkansas University Scholarships

International students are eligible to apply about 10 scholarships offered at the University including the Chancellor’s Scholarship and the General University Scholarships.

Berea College Scholarships

At Berea College, every admitted student is awarded a 4-year, tuition scholarship. This scholarship works in conjunction with any other grants or scholarships students receive to completely cover the cost of tuition. Additional costs, such as room, board, and fees, may also be covered by the College, depending upon your financial need. Nearly all of their students receive additional aid for these costs

Clark University Scholarships

Clark University offers the Global Scholars Program which are open to High school students who are NOT permanent residents or citizens of the United States, as well as U.S. citizens/permanent residents who reside overseas and will complete their entire secondary school education outside the U.S. A scholarship of no less than $15,000 (renewable, subject to conditions) and a guaranteed $2,500 taxable stipend for a paid internship or research assistantship taken for academic credit during the summer following the sophomore or junior year is included with the award.

Colby-Sawyer College Scholarships

International students are eligible for need-based and merit-based financial aid offered by Colby-Sawyer College. The merit-based scholarships increase based on academic ability and range up to $24,000 per year. The college does not meet full financial need.

Columbia College Scholarships

Columbia College offers about 20 scholarships and awards to outstanding international students. The awards are one time cash grants or 25%- 100% tuition reduction.

Concordia College Scholarships

Concordia prizes the contributions international students make on campus and is pleased to provide partial financial assistance to international students. The International Student Scholarship is based on academic ability and family need, amounting up to $25,000 per year.

Cornell University Scholarships

Cornell has a limited amount of funding available for international undergraduates, only 30-40 scholarships are awarded to students in each entering class. The scholarships are either partial or full, based on the selected student’s need.

Dartmouth College Scholarships

Dartmouth College offers need-based financial aid to all students, including international and transfer applicants . It does not award academic, athletic or merit scholarships. The College is committed to meeting 100% of every student’s demonstrated need during their four years of undergraduate study.

East Tennessee State University

East Tennessee State University (ETSU) offers the International Students Academic Merit Scholarship for new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree. The scholarship covers 50 percent of the total of in and out-of-state tuition and maintenance fees only. No additional fees or costs are covered. The scholarship award can only be used for study at ETSU.

East West Center Scholarships

East-West Center offers Graduate Degree Fellowship for Master’s and Doctoral studies for students from Asia, the Pacific, and the U.S. to participate in educational and research programs at the East-West Center while pursuing graduate study at the University of Hawai’i.

East West Center Scholarships

East-West Center offers Graduate Degree Fellowship for Master’s and Doctoral studies for students from Asia, the Pacific, and the U.S. to participate in educational and research programs at the East-West Center while pursuing graduate study at the University of Hawai’i.

Emory College Scholarships

Emory University offers need-based financial aid awards to a select number of international undergraduate students. All citizens of foreign countries who are not permanent residents of the United States (living in the U.S. or abroad) will be reviewed for this new international scholarship. As well, international applicants are encouraged to apply for merit-based scholarships through the Emory University Scholars Program (November 15 deadline)

Illinois Wesleyan University Scholarships

Merit-based scholarships are offered to qualified international applicants with outstanding academic achievement and test scores on the required entrance exams. These awards range from $10,000 to $25,000 per year and are renewable for up to four years. In addition, two full-tuition President’s International Student Scholarships may be awarded each year to two highly qualified international students.

Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships

The International Merit Scholarship is awarded to well-rounded students who have demonstrated strong academic achievement, and outstanding talent or achievements in one or more of the following areas: math and sciences, the arts, extracurricular activities, community service, leadership, innovation, or entrepreneurship. The awards range from $4,000 to $8,000 and are renewable.

Michigan State University International Scholarships

Michigan University provides a limited number of scholarship and grants to deserving international students at the undergraduate and postgraduate level. These financial packages are not designed to support your full academic program at MSU

New York University Wagner Scholarships

All international postgraduate student applicants at NYU Wagner are automatically considered for all merit-based scholarships, as the University gives equal consideration to scholarship applicants from within the United States and abroad. The awards are partial to full tuition scholarships including the Robert F. Wagner Scholarship which includes a $20,000 annual stipend.

Oregon University Scholarships

At the University of Oregon you’ll find several sources of financial aid for international students, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Each year, the University of Oregon awards more than one million dollars in financial aid and scholarships to international students. One of their scholarship programs is the
ICSP scholarship which awards 30–40 competitive scholarships to international students each year. Scholarships apply to tuition only and range from $7,000–$27,000 per year.

Wesleyan University Scholarships

Wesleyan University offers limited scholarships for international students and is awarded on the basis of both exceptional qualifications and demonstrated need. In addition to the 11 Asian students who are awarded yearly under the Freeman Asian Scholars Program, they provide financial assistance to approximately 15 international students from a pool of over 400 such applicants.

University of the West Scholarships

The Lotus Scholarship (the Scholarship) is awarded to students who achieve high academic standards and demonstrate a financial need in order to attend University of the West (UWest). The Scholarship awards up to $5,000 or up to $10,000 annually to each successful applicant to apply toward his or her tuition, mandatory fees, room and board, and other expenses required for attendance at UWest.

Institutions that fund international scholarships for study in the US »

Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarships

The Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program provides full scholarships to students from World Bank member countries to pursue development-related studies at selected Universities around the world. Students can choose to study in 8 participating USA Universities including Harvard University, John Hopkins University, University of Chicago, Cornell University and Columbia University.

AAUW International Fellowships

AAUW (formerly known as the American Association of University Women) awards international fellowships for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not US citizens or permanent residents. The scholarships are worth $18,000 for Masters, 20,000 for PhD and $30,000 for Postdoctoral students

Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme

The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from selected developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies. The studies can be undertaken anywhere in the world including the US. Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant : 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year.

How To Apply

Step 1

For Nonimmigrant Visa applicants: Determine your visa type by reading Common Nonimmigrant Visas. Each visa type explains the qualifications and application items. Choose the visa type that applies to your situation.

Be sure to also review the Visa Waiver Program. If your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not need to apply for a visa if you are travelling for business or pleasure and will only be staying in the Unites States for 90 days or less.

Note: If you are under 14 or over 79 years old, or if you previously received a U.S. visa that expired within the last 48 months or 12 months and you are returning to the United States for the same purpose of travel, you may be able to obtain a visa without coming to the consulate for an interview.

Step 2

The next step is to complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form. Be sure to read the Guidelines for Completing the DS-160 Form carefully. All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted, you cannot make any changes. If you need assistance, please consult an immigration lawyer or translator. The call center cannot help you complete your DS-160. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.

Note: If denied visa previously please complete a new Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.

Step 3

Once you have determined the correct visa type and completed the DS-160, you must pay the visa fee. The visa fee page lists the visa types and correlating visa fee in US dollars and native currency.

To pay your visa fee, read the Bank and Payment Options page. This page explains how to make your visa fee payment. You will create a profile and must keep your receipt number to book your visa appointment

Step 4

You are almost ready to schedule your visa appointment! Now you will need to login to your profile with the same credentials you used to pay your visa fee. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard. Click on Schedule Appointment on the left-hand side menu. This will start the process for scheduling your appointment.

You must schedule two appointments, one for the Visa Application Center (VAC) and one for the visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate.

First, schedule your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.

Second, schedule your appointment at a Visa Application Centre. This appointment will allow you to go to one of the five Visa Application Centre locations to have your fingerprints and photo taken. This appointment must be at least 1 day before your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate. You will need three pieces of information in order to schedule your appointment:

  • Your passport number
  • The date you paid your fee
  • The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page

As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.

Step 5

For your Visa Application Centre appointment, you will need to bring:

  • A passport valid for travel to the United States with validity dates at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.
  • Your DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Your appointment confirmation page.
  • One photograph as per U.S. visa specifications if the applicant is under 14 years of age. See the
  • Photos and Fingerprints page for more details

As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.

Step 6

Following your visit to the Visa Application Centre to have your photo and fingerprints taken, you will then visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview. You must bring :

  • A printed copy of your appointment letter,
  • Your DS-160 confirmation page
  • Your current and all old passports
  • A Form I-901 SEVIS fee receipt indicating the SEVIS fee. The SEVIS website has more details
  • Supporting Documents as per your visa type

Applications without all of these items will not be accepted

Note: Children under 14 years of age are not required to attend the appointment at the Visa Application Centre or visa interview at the Embassy/Consulate. Accompany/Guardians/Parents can carry the above documents

Supporting Documents

Supporting documents are only one of many factors a consular officer will consider in your interview. Consular officers look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors during adjudication. Consular officers may look at your specific intentions, family situation, and your long-range plans and prospects within your country of residence. Each case is examined individually and is accorded every consideration under the law

Caution: Do not present false documents. Fraud or misrepresentation can result in permanent visa ineligibility. If confidentiality is a concern, you should bring your documents to the Embassy or Consulate in a sealed envelope. The Embassy or Consulate will not make your information available to anyone and will respect the confidentiality of your information.

You should bring the following documents to your interview:

  • Your passport number
  • The date you paid your fee
  • The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page

As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.

  • you are 18 or over;
  • Documents demonstrating strong financial, social, and family ties to your home country that will compel you to return to your country after your program of study in the United States ends.
  • Financial and any other documents you believe will support your application and which give credible evidence that you have enough readily-available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study and that you have access to funds sufficient to cover all expenses while you remain in the United States. M-1 applicants must demonstrate the ability to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their intended stay.
  • Photocopies of bank statements will not be accepted unless you can also show original copies of bank statements or original bank books.
  • If you are financially sponsored by another person, bring proof of your relationship to the sponsor (such as your birth certificate), the sponsor’s most recent original tax forms and the sponsor’s bankbooks and/or fixed deposit certificates.
    Academic documents that show scholastic preparation. Useful documents include school transcripts (original copies are preferred) with grades, public examination certificates (A-levels, etc.), standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), and diplomas.


Spouses, including same-sex spouses, and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his or her stay require derivative F or M visas. There is no derivative visa for the parents of F or M holders.

Family members who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but wish to visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas.

Spouses and dependents may not work in the United States on a derivative F or M visa. If your spouse/child seeks employment, the spouse must obtain the appropriate work visa.

Supporting Documents for Dependents

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

  • Proof of the student’s relationship to his or her spouse and/or child (e.g., marriage and birth certificates)
  • It is preferred that families apply for their visas at the same time, but if the spouse and/or child must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder’s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

Other Information

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 visa holders may be eligible for up to 12 months of optional practical training following completion of all course requirements for graduation (not including thesis or equivalent), or after completion of all requirements. OPT is separate from a student’s academic work, and time for OPT will not normally be reflected during the student’s academic program or in the completed study date. Students applying for an F visa to do OPT may present an I-20 with an original end of study date that may have passed. However, these I-20s must be annotated by the designated school official to reflect approval of an OPT program that extends beyond the end of the regular period of study. In addition, the student must have proof that USCIS has approved their practical training program or that an application is pending, either in the form of an approved Employment Authorization Card or a Form I-797 indicating that s/he has a pending application for an OPT program.

Validity of Student Visas after a Break in Studies

Students who are away from classes for more than five months can expect to apply for and receive a new F-1 or M-1 student visa to return to school following travel abroad, as explained below.

Students within the U.S.

A student (F-1 or M-1) may lose that status if they do not resume studies within five months of the date of transferring schools or programs, under immigration law. If a student loses status, unless USCIS reinstates the student’s status, the student’s F or M visa would also be invalid for future travel returning to the U.S. For more information see the USCIS website, and instructions for Application for Extend/Change of Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539 to request reinstatement of status.

Students – Returning to the U.S. from Travel Abroad

Students who leave the U.S. for a break in studies of five months or more may lose their F-1 or M-1 status unless their activities overseas are related to their course of study. In advance of travel, students may want to check with their designated school official, if there is a question about whether their activity is related to their course of study.

When the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) immigration inspector at port of entry is presented a previously used, unexpired F-1 or M-1 visa by a returning student who has been outside the U.S. and out of student status for more than five months, a CBP immigration inspector may find the student inadmissible for not possessing a valid nonimmigrant visa. CBP may also cancel the visa after granting the student permission to withdraw the application for admission. Therefore, it is prudent for students to apply for new visas at an Embassy or Consulate abroad prior to traveling to the U.S. to return to their studies, after an absence of more than five months that is not related to their course of study.

Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 1: Attend a counseling session

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 2: Register with ESPI

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 3: Apply for admission

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 4: Institute issues the I-20

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 5: Pay the SEVIS fee online

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 6: Payment of visa fee

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 7: Complete the DS160 for online

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 8: Book a visa interview

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 9: Undertake an interview with embassy

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 10: Visa outcome

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 11: Travel Service

Consulate Details

Location and Contact Information

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in India are located at the following addresses:

The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi

Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021

Telephone +91-11-2419-8000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-11-2419-8000 FREE


Fax +91-11-2419-8587

Website: http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/

The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay)

C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051

Phone: (22) 2672-4000

Website: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/

The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras)

220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006

Telephone +91-44-2857-4000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-44-2857-4000 FREE


Fax: +91-44-2811-2027

Website: http://chennai.usembassy.gov/

The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta)

5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071

Telephone +91-33-3984-2400 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-33-3984-2400 FREE


Fax +91-33-2282-2335

Website: http://kolkata.usconsulate.gov/

The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad

Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003

Telephone: +91-40-4033-8300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-40-4033-8300 FREE


Website: http://hyderabad.usconsulate.gov/

Useful links

USA Consulate

Website : http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/index.html?firstTime=No

SA Embassy-New Delhi

Website : http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/

USA Consulate-Mumbai

Website : http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/

USA Embassy-Chennai

Website : http://chennai.usembassy.gov/

USA Consulate-Kolkata

Website : http://kolkata.usconsulate.gov/

USA Consulate-Hyderabad

Website : http://hyderabad.usconsulate.gov/


Why Study from USA?

How USA Education System Work?

How Many Intakes in USA?

What is Minimum Academic requirement?

What is SAT?

Which exam I have to clear?


What is official score reporting?

If I have completed my 15 years of education (like B.COM, BCA,BBA), can I get admission in Master’s program?

When can I start my Visa process?

What is CPT?

After having visa within how many days I can go to USA?

How much is Visa Fees?

What is SEVIS Fees?

Where I have to go for apply for VISA?

What is OPT?